Whole30: Mid-Challenge Recap & Road Trippin' to ATX

11:24 PM


Life gets busy. And when 'busy' strikes, blogging takes the back burner! Husband doesn't like when blogging cuts into sleep time! So, since my last post, here's what has been going on in my neck of the woods:


I was lucky to get to take a little weekender to Austin, TX to cheer on some fellow box members competing in 'The Fittest Games' at CrossFit Central. Talk about inspiring! It was so great to watch some total bad ass athletes pour out their heart and strength over two days. Really proud of our box team and owner (who competed as a Pro!) for giving their all! There were also lots of people from our area representing and it was great to come together and support all the South Louisiana competitors we have seen in the local competition circuit.
Team WoD Final
Mens Pro Final

With travel comes several things including stepping outside of a usual dietary routine while staying at a hotel. We stayed at a hotel with a daily hot breakfast. I steered clear of the pastries and oatmeal and settled on the 'eggs' and 'bacon/sausage' and fruit. I am 99% sure the eggs had some kind of dairy in them and the meat was a little sketchy, but it was the best option available. And man can not live on jerky alone. This is the 'lesser of two evils' situation a Paleo eater is bound to encounter. You do what you have to do and move on to the next meal planning to 'do better'.

The great thing about getting food at a CrossFit competition is that usually the host site has some kind of healthy meal option. A Paleo food truck was on site serving up lunch/breakfast on both days. While a little steep at $12 a plate, the food was tasty and I even recreated a dish once back home from traveling. My version costs less than $5 to make, for the record.
Scrambled eggs, Chicken and Apple Sausage Patties, Kale and Peppers and Onions. Delish!

We also ate dinner out. One night I had an awesome (bunless) lamb burger at 24 Diner with some awesome bacon braised collard greens and mashed sweet potatoes. The other night I had a steak with Brussels sprouts, bacon and sweet potato gnocchi. Again, these meals might not have been completely up to 'Whole 30' par, but I chose the best options available that were also pleasing to me. Either way, they were pretty dang close to Paleo. The cocktail I had, not so much (gasp!) but it was a decision I made. Something about a drink in my hand that makes me dance better... Go ahead, cast the stones. Hey, I'm human! Other than the 2 drinks that night, I pretty much stuck to my nutritional guns since I planned ahead with snacks and what not. But I did NOT end up face down in a slice of 2 am pizza!

I must say I get really jealous when I visit cities with way cooler food options than I have at home. I did stumble upon a really cool Texas based company called Snap Kitchen while walking back from where else, Luluemon. This concept is freshly prepared, packaged, ready to go meals that are clearly labeled by dietary preference (low carb, gluten free, Vegetarian, Paleo, etc). They had everything from snacks to meals in coolers and microwaves to heat if needed. They also had a good selection of convenience healthy packaged foods like Steve's Paleo Kits, Justin's Nut Butters and Kind Bars to name a few. To top it off, a wide range of beverages from bottled waters and juices to kombuchas. They have another location in Houston I'm looking forward to hitting up next time I'm in the area.

Overall, a great trip. I love getting to know the people I work out with better because we are like one big family and support (and make fun!) of each other always out of love and respect of each other. Sure, I get picked on and hassled about the way I choose to eat, but I feel great and I won't let peer pressure to 'eat this' get to me. I have free will and if I choose something then it is my choice. To each his own people and I love ya just the same for your beliefs on what fuels your body and soul.

With that, here's a few more pics of some fun I joined in on in between watching WoDs/shopping/hanging under the team tent. The folks over at Ultra Immune put on a few little mini-WoDs and I (wo)maned up and tried the 'Keg Snatches'. Not easy at all. A (big, strong) girl right before me did 10 in a minute. I did 3 successfully overhead. Seems like small potatoes? Well, I think I was the only girl from our group who tried the keg snatches! These were no joke! Hey, got a free T-Shirt and now I'm actually taking their daily immune supplement (which I love by the way). So, I guess their marketing worked! Thanks Ultra Immune!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images