Whole30 Day 3: Kakki's Speedy Chili

6:34 PM

How do you feel??!! I'm feeling more awake and slept soundly last night even after getting sucked in to an episode of 'Parenthood'. I haven't seen that show in a while I guess....when did the mom get cancer?? Oh, the drama.

I woke up bright and early, ate some eggs w/salsa and some sausage and bounced out the door to hit yoga with my sister. Namaste, y'all. Took care of a few business emails once back home and jumped right in to my 'Cinderella' duties. Word of caution: do not leave toddler unattended with a non no-spill sippy cup. Trail of almond milk resembles a crime scene in my kitchen :/

I'm not going to post the deets of my meals today because it's mostly leftovers and not something new and exciting that might inspire you for a dish. Later in the week I'm going to experiment with some new dishes though! Though for dinner, I used the recipe below to make a 'Sweet Potato Stuffer': baked sweet potato stuffed w/chili, steamed broccoli and salsa. Very tasty combination!

I am finding the hardest time of day for me for eating is somewhere right after dinner. This is when I crave something sweet the most. My old habit of after dinner treats is dying hard. I'm hanging in there!

In other breaking news, I FINALLY got my pull up today! And then I went on to do a bunch more unassisted in today's WoD. This gal did NOT want to ring row all day for scaled.

And now, a tale about food. After all, food ties us in to a lot of memories...

I love chili. I have never been a fan of beans in my chili, so this is a perfect paleo meal for me. When I was little (ok, and into my 20s...) I freakin' loved some Hormel chili from the can. On a hot dog with mustard and sweet relish....I was suddenly sitting back at UNO watching my cousin play ball. Seriously, I think that was what I looked forward to the most about a ball game. My mom has always been a good cook and makes chili sometimes for family events. I would never eat it because it wasn't Hormel. She and my aunt would tell me I was crazy and that it was delicious and how could I favor that 'crap in a can'. Last year sometime I asked my mom for her chili recipe and I'm pretty sure she remembered how much I never wanted to eat her chili, but she gave it to me anyway and said "It's just an old one I've kept from 'Southern Living' years ago. It's not that hard." I played with it some and adapted it to my love of fire-roasted tomatoes and have given it a deeper taste spice wise. My sister (Kakki) really loved it after I made the changes and came over for left overs and has recently been asking me fore the recipe. So, I named the updated version after her! Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame Kakki!

Kakki's Speedy Chili
2 Tbsp ghee/coconut oil
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
4 cloves garlic diced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, plain
1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2-4 Tbsp tomato paste (depends on thickness desired)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper 
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp chili powder
**optional: 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa (You can't taste it, but gives a richness. I however, am the only one in my family who loves it this way.)

Add preferred fat to deep dutch oven an heat on medium-high heat. Add diced onion, peppers and garlic and saute until soft. Add ground beef and crumble, then add spices while browning meat. Once meat is brown, pour in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes (with juices) and 2 Tbsp tomato paste (reserve remaining paste if thicker consistency desired). Stir until paste has melted, then set timer for 1 hour and reduce heat to medium/low and allow to simmer. Stir occasionally and add remaining paste if too thin. Can be served in 1 hr or continued to cook for a total of 2 hrs for increased taste. Leftovers are great for freezing!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images