On the Town: Dinner at 'Social Southern Table & Bar'

11:41 AM

Is it Friday yet???!! Just kidding. This week has been pretty awesome to date. Pep talk moment. Super excited to see what the 13.1 WoD for the CrossFit Open will be......but please no burpees straight out the gate people!

Anyway, we had a busy weekend full of WoD'ing, kiddie birthday parties, a crawfish boil and date night. We started the weekend off Friday night at the new hot spot in Lafayette called Social Southern Table and Bar. I had heard great reviews and was eager to try some new cuisine. When dining out, I have to balance my inner foodie with Paleo. This means that sometimes I do what I wanna and don't feel bad about it. So, go ahead and cast those stones....."I'm rubber and you're glue..."




We started at the bar where I had a 'Louisiana Mule' to drink and my husband chose the 'Beer Flight'. He enjoyed the sampling of 4 3oz beers that he selected to try. A fun little experience while we waited. Because I was starving, we decided to order an appetizer at the bar. The pork belly sliders were tasty, however I ditched the mini buns because it was too bready even for my occasional non-Paleo indulgences. Hubby wasn't overly thrilled with them.....I guess we both wanted more pig!

Once we were seated we decided to try another appetizer, the Krab Nachos. Flavor wise, the concept sounded tasty, but the wontons were a little greasy according to the carb-lover I dined with. I enjoyed the flavors of the crab topping, but would have enjoyed more avocado.


Next up, our main dishes for sharing: Steak Frites, Crispy Brussels, and Mac n Cheese. I choose the steak because it was prepared sous vide and topped with a Chimichurri sauce. Delicious! A tad bit salty on the steak (The marinade contains soy sauce. My Paleo palate is sensitive to this source of sodium and flavor) but the Chimichurri sauce was great. The brussels were my choice for a side to share while my husband chose the mac n cheese. Good flavor on the brusseles and the mac n cheese too. According to my husband, rich and creamy with some flavor he just couldn't identify. I suppose this is why he kept eating more....
Crispy Brussels

Steak Frites. LOVED the Chimichurri.

And for the finale, dessert. I couldn't pass it up because the pastry chef is a fellow CrossFitter at our box. Amy Salsman has really outdone herself. I could not even tell you most of what is on the dessert menu because once our server told me about this chocolate tres leches cake served in a mason jar, we were sold. And let me tell you something; it was worth it. I would have licked the bottom of the jar if I could have reached it. And now I am wanting more. Sigh. A dessert like this is always a reason for me to go nutritional off-roading.
Only one spoon would be necessary. No shame; I'd eat the whole thing if given the chance!

Overall, it was a great experience. The atmosphere is really neat and I love the design of the concrete bar and the light fixtures a la Mason jars. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The bar has an excellent selection of specialty cocktails. I was a little disappointed with some parts of our meal, but the dessert made up for it tenfold. I wish I would have known there was a gluten free menu ahead of time, but then again I did fail to mention my dietary preferences to my server. Next time I plan on trying the Brick Oven Chicken and Braised Greens. 

I am always looking for a new spot in town to try. Please feel free to post suggestions on where we should try next!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Can't wait to try this new place out the next time I make it to Lafayette.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images