Tasty Thursday: 'Holy Grail' Mayonnaise

11:23 AM

It use to be 'Thirsty Thursday' when I graduated college. This was the day we would clock out from a busy day in the Operating Room and head to a local watering hole and delight in some frozen drinks and get excited about the weekend approaching. My how things have changed.


I'm going to change it to 'Tired Thursday'. My body is saying "Is it the weekend yet? I'm ready to rest." Maybe I am old after all. Just kidding. It probably has to do with my recovering from being sick last week and then going balls to the wall on Saturday while competing at 'Battle on the Bayou'. I placed 15th out of 49 scaled women. I wanted to place higher, but considering I had minimal use of my respiratory system the week before, I'll take that. Next time, Top Ten, I'm coming for you.

WoD 1: Thruster Ladder at 'Battle on the Bayou'

So, other than competing and then hanging out at my parent's house doing a little target practice in the back yard with some ammo, it was a pretty uneventful weekend. Oh, and I ate a lot.




Stella picking flowers for Daddy at my parent's house
This week, I have been slacking in the kitchen. This is due mostly to my husband being out of town for work and while the cat's away, the mice will dine out. Been trying to keep it pretty healthy though. Mostly kabobs, veggies and bunless burgers. Our refrigerator is starting to look like a poor college student; all that is left is an almost empty jar of homemade mayo, almond milk, random veggies and some pineapple chunks. So sad. I really must pry myself out of my PJs and head to the store. God bless my freezer supply or I'd feel like one guilty mama. Tomorrow, we stock up!

Speaking of mayo, if you don't know me very well you are probably thinking: "What a nut job. Ain't nobody got time for that! I get my olive oil mayo on aisle 6 at the store and that's just fine thankyouverymuch." Ok, healthy mayo eater, go get that jar and turn it around. What's that you see? They are putting other things besides oilve oil in my mayo?! No, not food manufacturers, they would never put unnecessary ingredients where they don't belong......

I started making this mayo a little over a year ago and it is so freaking delicious. And it is SUPER EASY! Even if you are not very handy in the kitchen, you can probably do this. I have only had one time in a year where it just didn't come out right and that was a few weeks ago. Pretty sure it's because I was hopped up on cold medicine and just wasn't paying attention.

I call it 'Holy Grail' Mayonnaise because it is essential to many quick Paleo dishes, snacks and sauces I rely heavily on. Details on that after the recipe:

TOOLS:
Blender
Measuring spoons
Spatula
A few paper towels
Mason Jar or other storage container

INGREDIENTS:
2 Pasture raised eggs (or the BEST quality eggs you can afford)
2 cups light tasting olive oil (DO NOT use Extra Virgin. The taste is too strong)
2 1/2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 heaping Teaspoon Prepared Yellow Mustard
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

DIRECTIONS:
In a blender, add raw eggs, vinegar, and mustard. Cover and blend for a few seconds until mixed well. Then, remove pour spout from top of blender, turn on blender and VERY SLOWLY drizzle in oil. You may want to cover remainder of opening with a paper towel to avoid splatter. Blender contents will begin to thicken. Continue to add remainder of oil and blend until desired mayo consistency has been achieved. Remove lid and add salt and cayenne. Place lid back on and blend for a few seconds to mix in seasoning. Pour mayo into Mason jar and close and store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

**If you are leery of raw eggs, click here to learn about pasteurization


SO WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THAT? EAT IT WITH A SPOON?
Most people think of sandwiches and mayo or hamburger buns and mayo. Since I don't eat bread, what am I doing with all this heart healthy mayo? Well, it's great for making chicken or tuna salad to have as an emergency protein in the fridge. It's also great in deviled eggs that make great Paleo snacks for lunch boxes or for parties. Who doesn't love a deviled egg?! I also use it to make various salad dressings and veggie dips. My husband does not eat Paleo. But he loves this mayo on a Turkey-Avocado sandwich or wrap. So, you don't have to eat like a caveman to be in love with this deliciousness!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images